Monday, May 2, 2011

The Death of Osama Bin Laden

It is not a sin to hate evil. I do not believe in revenge. However, I do believe in justice. Not only is there a time to love but there is also a time to hate. As Christians, we are to hate evil just as God hates evil (Ps 97:10). Proverbs 8:13 says, “All who fear the Lord will hate evil.” King David writes in Psalm 139:19-22 saying, “O God, if only you would destroy the wicked! Get out of my life, you murderers! They blaspheme you; your enemies misuse your name. O Lord, shouldn’t I hate those who hate you? Shouldn’t I despise those who oppose you? Yes, I hate them with total hatred, for your enemies are my enemies.” Hatred is a valid emotion and the proper moral response to the human encounter with inhuman cruelty. I believe that mass murderers bring forth our deepest hatred and contempt the most. How dare you defend the death of Osama Bin Laden; you should ashamed of yourself.

I am not dancing in celebration of Osama Bin Laden’s death. No one is happy to hear of another person’s death. I am celebrating that there is justice that was served by his death. Osama Bin Laden’s death was symbolic and by his death, many people can truly believe and have some closure in their hearts that justice against so many inhuman cruelties was final and gone forever from this world by his hands. By his death, many people can truly believe that good overcomes evil. The same goes for Hitler when he killed himself in his bunker. There was a celebration, not that Hitler was dead but by his death there was victory of good over the evil atrocities he poured out upon millions of innocent people who never deserved death. To dance and celebrate purely over the death of another person, regardless of who they were, is just morally wrong.

On the day that I heard of the death of Osama Bin Laden, I posted the following on my facebook status, “Now that Bin Laden is dead, it's our opportunity to go to the Taliban and bring them to their knees, leaving no survivors, having no mercy. Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!” The below comments are what I posted after others had commented on my status.

As Christians, we are not commanded to follow the Law of Moses, which include the Ten Commandments. Trying to follow the Law brings a curse of death upon you because you are not living by faith. The whole purpose of the Law was to show you that you are a sinner. No one can be saved by following the Ten Commandments. Now that we know we are sinners, have repented of our sins and received Christ as Savior, we now live under grace by faith. That doesn't mean that we cannot go to war, fight our enemies or that we should be a passive, scared nation of prudes. Jesus never said, “Thou shalt not go to war and defend your-selves.” Jesus expounded upon the Ten Commandments to show you that you need Him, not to make you righteous by following “Thou shalt not….”

Before the Law, Abraham was considered by God to be righteous based upon his faith, not obedience to any laws. Abraham retaliated against his enemies by going to them at night, slitting their throats and killed all of them mercilessly leaving only the war booty behind. He gave ten percent to God, gave thanks and glory to Him for defeating his enemies and God blessed him! Was Abraham being hateful or revengeful? No, he was doing what was right. It's the very same scenario when Jesus returns at the end of the Tribulation period. He will return to destroy all traces of his enemies who stand against Him in defiance. Is Jesus being revengeful or hateful? No, He will be doing what is right. This is what I mean by “Kill ‘em all and let God sort ‘em out.” If Abraham can do it, Jesus can do it and God can do it, why can I suggest it? It’s all with the same heart and attitude. I am not talking about hatred or revenge but of defense and a road to temporary peace. Only true peace comes from Christ. How can you have peace without war when the enemy hates you and wants to kill you mercilessly? Just as Jesus will do and God will do, we will do; that is, take them out before they even begin to attack us again.

There's nothing wrong with praying for your enemies, I recommend it. You should pray that in the war time that there would be an opportunity for all of your enemies to get a chance to hear the gospel, repent and come to Christ. I would do the same thing if I was there. However, in the midst of battle there is no time for talking because there is opposition.

Don’t you understand? The Taliban and Al Qaeda want to kill you, your family and destroy our country! They want Sharia Law to be instituted in the USA! They have nothing but brainwashed hatred against the USA and Christians. I have a godly responsibility to protect my family and my country. But, again if the opportunity came about, I would preach to the Taliban and Al Qaeda the gospel story and offer the chance to receive Christ. However, as I stated before in the midst of war, I cannot do that if I am being shot at or if bombs are being dropped on me!

Christians are not supposed to be a bunch of weak, whiney and introverted cowards. The bible is full of references concerning the Christian life. Paul mentioned the full armor of God; we are soldiers of Christ and in God’s army. When Christ returns to earth, we will follow Christ in white robes on horses as His “army of heaven.” Yes, I understand this is a spiritual war as well as a physical war. However, how can we preach the love of Christ when our enemies want to kill us mercilessly as well? Again, pray for the Taliban and Al Qaeda that during this war that the gospel will reach their hearts. Meanwhile, we must not allow evil men to prosper while good men do nothing.

Please, do not get me wrong. I am not saying that we should NOT have ANY mercy upon those who are our enemies. However, during the heat of battle there is only war and it is a merciless action. However, when there is opportunity for mercy and justice we should extend it to everyone who is willing to receive it.

During a war, people will die; it’s just a fact of life and death. Please do not get me wrong. I am not saying that we should not love our enemies, we should. However, I don’t believe Jesus meant for us to love this evil man in the sense of to “love evil.” To do so is to make a complete mockery of all that is good and just in this world. Don’t you know that when you offer love/respect to a criminal instead of a penalty for his crimes that you automatically justify his actions? I believe that Jesus meant for us to love the evil person but hate the evil of the person.

Therefore, as I stated earlier in this note, this is not unjustified hatred towards Osama; I do not know him personally. I absolutely have no reason to hate Osama Bin Laden on a personal basis. However, I do hate what he has been responsible for, which are the evil acts and atrocities brought upon others by his faulty religious views. The celebration of his death is not personal but symbolic of the end of his evil ways and that justice was served. I am happy to live in a country that values the good over the evil and will not stand by and see innocent people being victimized by cruel, wicked and evil men.

No comments: