Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Giving to God in Love

One thing we have to realize is the original purpose of the tithe. In other words, why was it important for God to include the tithe in the Mosaic Law? Well, we know the purpose of the Mosaic Law itself, "the law applies to those to whom it was given, for its purpose is to keep people from having excuses, and to show that the entire world is guilty (NLT, Romans 8:13)."

Teaching about the Law, Jesus said in Matthew 5:17-18 “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the Law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved (NLT)."

The Apostle Paul said in Romans 10:4 "For Christ has already accomplished the purpose for which the law was given. As a result, all who believe in him are made right with God (NLT)."

Therefore, since Jesus accomplished and achieved the Laws purpose, why would we need to continue following it? We do not. Besides, why would I want to follow anything in the law and be cursed?

Galatians 3:10 "But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law (NLT).” Well, can you follow the Law? No, I can't and haven’t, so am I condemned? No, "there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus (NLT, Rom. 8:1)." I am made right with God by having faith in Jesus, not by obeying anything mentioned in the Mosaic Law.

Moreover, since the Law was not given to Gentiles, & I cannot follow the Law or the Ten Commandments, & desire not to condemn myself under it, and since Jesus accomplished its purpose, then why would I want to follow it?

However, this is what I really want to point out. I give because I have desire to give. I give because of God's love and giving is an expression of God's love (Jn. 3:16). Concerning generous giving, even Paul said, "I want you to excel also in this gracious act of giving. I am not commanding you to do this. But I am testing how genuine your love is by comparing it with the eagerness of the other churches (NLT, 2 Cor. 8:7,8)."

Therefore, by what Paul suggests, it is our giving that is the measuring unit for expressing our love. It is not our love for Christ that is measured by our giving; but our love for Christ grows out of our relationship we have with Him. When we give out of love, especially to the poor & needy, then we give to God.

1 Jn. 3:16,17 "We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters. If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion; how can God’s love be in that person?”

No comments: